With German ancestry from his father and Scottish ancestry from his mother, millionaire real estate developer Donald Trump epitomizes the American immigrant experience. Born to Frederick and Mary MacLeod Trump in Queens, New York on June 14, 1946, Donald John Trump learned the real-estate business firsthand from his father who, himself, began in the family construction business at the age of 13 when his own father (Donald's grandfather) died in the influenza epidemic of 1918.
Frederick Christ Trump, grandfather of Donald Trump, was also a true American entrepreneur. Immigrating to America in 1885, he began his fortune running the Arctic Restaurant and Hotel in Bennett, British Columbia, during the Klondike Gold Rush. Christine, who would later become his wife, was only 5 when he left Germany, but they kept in touch by mail and eventually married.
1. Donald John TRUMP was born on 14 Jun 1946 in Queens, New York. He married Ivana Zelnickova Winklmayr, with whom he fathered three children, and then married Marla Maples, with whom he shares one child. In January of 2005, Donald Trump married a third time, to model Melania Knauss. Donald and Melania are the parents of Donald's fifth child, Barron William Trump, born in 2006.
Second Generation (Parents):
2. Frederick Christ (Fred) TRUMP was born on 11 Oct 1905 in Woodhaven, Queens, New York. He died of pneumonia on 25 Jun 1999 at Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, New York.
3. Mary Anne MACLEOD was born on 10 May 1912 in Isle of Lewis, Scotland.
She died on 7 Aug 2000 at Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, NY.
Fred TRUMP and Mary MACLEOD were married in Jan 1936 in New York City, New York. They had the following children:
i. Mary Anne TRUMP was born on 5 Apr 1837 in Queens, NY.
ii. Fred TRUMP Jr. was born in 1938 in Queens, NY and died in 1981.
iii. Elizabeth TRUMP was born in 1942 in Queens, NY.
1 iv. Donald John TRUMP
v. Robert TRUMP was born in Aug 1948 in Queens, NY.
4. Friederich (Fred) TRUMP was born on 14 Mar 1869 in Kallstadt, Pfalz, Germany. He immigrated in 1885 to United States from Hamburg aboard the ship "Eider" and became a U.S. citizen in 1892 in Seattle, Washington. He died of influenza on 30 Mar 1918 in New York City, New York.
5. Elizabeth CHRIST was born on 10 Oct 1880 in Kallstadt, Pfalz, Germany and died on 6 Jun 1966 in Queens, New York.
Fred TRUMP and Elizabeth CHRIST were married on 26 Aug 1902 in Kallstadt, Pfalz, Germany. Fred and Elizabeth had the following children:
i. Elizabeth (Betty) TRUMP was born on 30 Apr 1904 in Woodhaven, Queens, NY and died of cancer on 3 Dec 1961 in New York.
2 ii. Frederick Christ (Fred) TRUMP
iii. John George TRUMP was born on 21 Aug 1907 in Woodhaven, Queens, NY and died on 21 Feb 1985 in Boston, MA.
6. Malcolm MACLEOD was born 27 Dec 1866 in Stornoway, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland to two Macleod parents, Alexander and Anne. He was a fisherman and crofter, and also served as the "compulsory officer," in charge of enforcing attendance at the local school from 1919. He died of "cerebral thrombosis" on 22 Jun 1954 in Tong.
7. Mary SMITH was born on 11 Jul 1867 in Tong, Stornoway to Donald Smith and Henrietta McSwane. Her father died in a tragic accident when she was just a little over a year old and she and her three siblings were raised by their mother. Mary lived to the ripe old age of 96, dying at home on 27 Dec 1963 following a fracture to her right leg and subsequent pneumonia.
Malcolm MACLEOD and Mary SMITH were married in the Back Free Church of Scotland just a few miles from Stornoway, the only town on the Isle of Lewis. Their marriage was witnessed by Murdo MacLeod and Peter Smith.
Malcolm and Mary had the following children:
i. Malcolm M. Macleod Jr. was born 23 Sep 1891 in Tong, Stornoway and died 20 Jan 1983 on Lopez Island, San Juan, Washington, USA.
ii. Donald Macleod was born about 1894.
iii. Christina Macleod was born about 1896.
iv. Katie Ann Macleod was born about 1898.
v. William Macleod was born about 1898.
vi. Annie Macleod was born about 1900.
vii. Catherine Macleod was born about 1901.
viii. Mary Johann Macleod was born about 1905.
ix. Alexander Macleod was born about 1909.
3. x. Mary Anne Macleod
[article contains more info on Trump's more distant ancestors]
A Princeton PhD, was a US diplomat for over 20 years, mostly in Eastern Europe, and was promoted to the Senior Foreign Service in 1997. For the Open World Leadership Center, he speaks with
its delegates from Europe/Eurasia on the topic, "E Pluribus Unum? What Keeps the United States United" (http://johnbrownnotesandessays.blogspot.com/2017/03/notes-and-references-for-discussion-e.html). Affiliated with Georgetown University for over ten years, he shares ideas with students about public diplomacy.
The papers of his deceased father -- poet and diplomat John L. Brown -- are stored at Georgetown University Special Collections at the Lauinger Library. They are manuscript materials valuable to scholars interested in post-WWII U.S.-European cultural relations.
This blog is dedicated to him, Dr. John L. Brown, a remarkable linguist/humanist who wrote in the Foreign Service Journal (1964) -- years before "soft power" was ever coined -- that "The CAO [Cultural Affairs Officer] soon comes to realize that his job is really a form of love-making and that making love is never really successful unless both partners are participating."